Significance of coagulase-negative staphylococci in urinary tract infections

E. Chinou, E. Tsiganou, M. Georgouli, Z. Chiolou, N. Trobouki, P. Golemati

Abstract: 

Objectives: To determine the importance of the role of coagulase-negative Staphylococci in the aetiology of acute lower urinary tract infection. Methods: Seventy-two isolates identified as CNS, were collected from mid-stream specimens of urine during a three and a half years period (January 1997-June 2000). The identification of CNS strains was carried out under standard methods and an Api 20 staph system. Antibiotic resistance was performed with the method of disk diffusion and interpreted according to NCCLS standards. The criteria for CNS isolates as the reason of UTI were: more than 50 white cells per high power field on light microscopy of urine sediments and a pure growth of more than 10 5 colony forming units per mL. Results: We isolated 72 CNS strains (3.5%) from 2.030 positive urine cultures. 62 CNS strains were from positive cultures of 1463 inpatients (4.2%), while 10 strains were from 567 out patients (1,6%). S. epidermidis and S. saprophyticus accounted for approximately 90% of isolates, while the rest 10% of CNS isolates were S. hominis, S. xylosus, S. warneri and S. simulans.Therewas little variation in the antimicrobial susceptibility pattern in the various species. Susceptibility rates to antimicrobials tested were: Vancomycin and Teicoplanin 100%, Netilmicin 85%, Tetracycline 60%, Ciprofloxacin 40%, Clindamycin 30% and oxacilline 30%.
2001

abstract No: 

NULL

Full conference title: 

11th European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
    • ECCMID 11th (2001)